Tuesday, December 28, 2010

African Cats Trailer Review


Title : African Cats
Release Date : Earth Day 2011 (April 22)

As a film, I am convinced this will be fun to watch. However I have mixed feelings about the trailer. Disneynature clearly believes that the stunning footage from East Africa is enough to sell tickets and they most likely are right. However for those of us who love a great trailer this definitely leaves something to be desired.

My beef is with the narrator use in the trailer and the song choice. The narrator takes a back seat, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but when he does talk it is a disaster. I cringed the first time i realized he referred to it as a "true story" 1min 10 secs in. Of course its a true story, it is documentary footage your viewers aren't stupid. Furthermore the background song, Life is Beautiful by the British group Vega4 reminds me of a corny love scene on an ABC drama (no offense to anyone who is into that sort of thing). Don't get me wrong I get where they are going with the music and narration, and the movie will gain a buzz due to the stunning footage in the trailer. However, something about this seems too Disney; perhaps its is because I compare all nature films to Planet Earth. Maybe my standards are too high.

Rating 3.8/5
(4.5/5 based on footage)


No comments:

Post a Comment